Farmhouse Chalk Board
I am so excited to share the first of many tutorial videos with you all. This is something I have been dreaming of and envisioning for quite some time and my talented friend Jeremiah made it come true!
This tutorial shows you how to make a very simple farmhouse inspired chalkboard. I wanted mine for my kitchen but it could really go anywhere in your home! This project only takes about 2 hours to make and costs about $50.00 in materials or less.
I have listed all the supplies needed and instructions below to refer back to. Make this your own and have fun!
- Chalk board paint
- Chalk paint OR Stain
- Paint Brush x 2
- 24" tall x 22" wide x 1/2" thick pre-cut plywood
- 1"x2" Trim Board
- Screw driver
- Wood Glue
- Measuring Tape
- Towel rod
- Picture Hanger
- S Hooks (optional)
- If you have materials and a saw at home, that's great! If not, you will need to purchase the wood for your project. For this particular project I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of high quality pre-cut ply wood that was 24" x 22" x 1/2". You will also need 1"x2" trim board. Ask an associate to cut 4 pieces for you. The measurements of these pieces (if you are doing the same size as mine) will be: 2 pieces at 22 inches (the top and bottom pieces) and 2 pieces at 15 inches (the side pieces)
- Lay out the trim pieces onto the ply wood. You are making a frame for the chalkboard portion. Basically you want to leave enough room at the bottom to hang the towel rod you choose. Draw a line so you know where to separate your chalk board paint from the regular paint.
- Paint the top half (the bigger section) with the chalk board paint.
- Paint the bottom portion and the 4 edge pieces that make your frame with the chalk paint. Let dry until it is no longer wet to the touch.
- Apply a small amount of wood glue to each edge piece and firmly press them onto the plywood one at a time. Wipe away any access glue. Let dry for about 30 minutes.
- Attach the picture hanger to the back of your chalk board BEFORE you attach the towel rod! I just picked out a picture hanger from Lowe's that I felt like worked for where I was hanging my chalk board. You can choose any type of picture hanger you want to for this project. Follow instructions for the picture hanger you choose and attach. IMPORTANT: Make sure the screws that come with the picture hanger kit are not longer than the width of your frame. Drill the screws in very close to the top so that the screws go into the plywood AND the frame piece you attached.
- Measure and center up the towel rod onto the lower portion of your chalkboard. Attach the towel rod according to the instructions
- Before you start writing on your chalk board, you will want to "season" it! To do this just take a piece of regular chalk (using the edge) draw over the whole surface. Then, wipe down with a rag or paper towel.
- Hang and Enjoy!
You can style your new farmhouse inspired chalkboard any way you like! I liked the look of having hooks on the towel rod to hang things from, but you don't have to add those if you don't want to!
Hang a pretty kitchen towel or an apron from one of the hooks!
Try hanging buckets for fresh flowers, or herbs.
The possibilities are endless here. Make this chalkboard your own and make it unique! Also, don't forget to have fun with it. Comment below if you have any questions. Thank you for stopping by, and remember to SUBSCRIBE (link at bottom of page) to the blog to get updates and new posts sent to you!
The Furrowed Home