Unique Potted Succulents
Who else out there is trying to find their green thumb like me? I'm like a crazy plant lady right now trying to figure out what I'm good at keeping alive and what I'm good at killing. So far I've only killed a few plants.. it turns out I'm good with the ones you don't have to water very often!
Succulents are quickly becoming some of my favorite house plants to keep around. They are low maintenance and look absolutely beautiful. When you buy succulents they are typically in a temporary plastic container. I saw a few pots in the store but none of them were really speaking to me. I had a conversation with a florist friend and she encouraged me to use items I might already have around the house as planters instead of buying them. So that's what I did! I have started to use old bowls, tea cups, pitchers, you name it. You can pretty much turn anything into a planter you just need to follow a few rules to make sure to keep your succulents alive.
- Gather enough small rocks to completely cover the bottom of the bowl. Add about one - two inches worth. This will keep your soil from staying too wet.
- Pour or scoop the potting soil into the bowl. Leave a few inches at the top to place the succulents.
- Place the succulents however your heart desires! Mix and match with varying color and texture to add interest.
- Fill the rest of the bowl with potting soil. Press lightly to pack the soil down a bit around the succulents.
- Sprinkle with a little water to establish and E N J O Y!
*Pro Tip: To see if your succulent needs to be watered; stick your finger about 2 inches into the soil, if it's dry lightly water and if its still moist it does not need water!*
I love finding unique ways to put my own touch on items in and around my home. When something has a story it makes it that much more special. What containers do you love using for plants and succulents? Comment below and let know!
The Furrowed Home